Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Peanut Butter + Banana = Yummy Muffins.


O k. So we are already back to my new cookbook again. The review was a little premature but my assumptions were correct! It's a really great book. Not only does she add the purees to recipes but she uses altogether good ingredients like whole wheat & oat flour. The only thing I don't like is the use of margarine. I'm pro butter.

By far my favorite recipe is these little muffins. The whole family loves them & I have to admit that I sometimes have pregnancy strength cravings for the things. Without further adu, the recipe:

Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
by Jessica Seinfeld

Preheat oven to 350*F. Grease 12 cup muffin pan or line.

Mix:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup carrot puree
1/2 cup banana puree
1 large egg white

Sift together:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Combine wet & dry ingredients, but do not over mix, it will be lumpy.
Add another 1/2 cup of brown sugar & barely stir in. (Trust me on this, it makes for the yummiest caramelized globules in the end.)

Bake 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Enjoy!
(they are really good hot but even better cooled, be patient)

P.s.- I also had a great time making the green eggs with a whole pound of spinach! Flynn got a h u g e kick out of trying them along with the grumpy guy at the end of the book. He actually looked tickled. Oh, & they're really good too. I don't know if I will eat eggs otherwise.

3 comments:

brooklyn said...

wow. i'm so impressed (and salivating). i gotta get that book.

Stephanie said...

okay, tell me this: can you taste the purees in it? and which taste stands out more-- peanut butter or banana? i'm really finicky about what banana-tasting things i like, and i like most things peanut butter, but i'm leery of combining the two...although these look pretty good and fairly healthy. i just need to be reassured that they won't be gross. :)

m. said...

Peanut butter does stand out the most, definetely. The real secret to this recipe really is the brown sugar. If you mix it just right & don't overcook them, you get the yummiest bites of caremalized sugar. The banana flavor is very subtle & you don't taste the carrot. It is a really good overall combination.

As far as them being gross, I made two dozen the other day & the first 12 were devoured same day. Here is how the second were devoured the next day: Me-1, Brett-5, & Flynn-6! Not kidding. Flynn literally would grab them out of Brett's hand as he was eating & shove two at a time in his mouth.

The brownies were a different story. (I'll have to talk about that later)

Let me know if you try them & what you think!