Saturday, January 5, 2008

Book Review: Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld


I finally picked up this cookbook yesterday at Costco after browsing through it each time I was there. I'm sure you have heard about it on Oprah. The purpose of the book is to "sneak" vegetables into everyday food items for kids using fruit or vegetable purees. Before trying any of the recipes, I am actually really impressed with the book. While I don't have the need to trick Flynn into eating vegetables at this point, it still gives great alternatives to common staples in most children's diets.
There are a few recipes I am really excited about & that I think will really support my resolution. The homemade ketchup recipe omits corn syrup & adds carrots! She also has a recipe for ranch dressing I am excited to try because ALL ranch dressing contains MSG- except one I found but it was really gross. She even adds broccoli to homemade chicken nuggets. She provides recipes for breakfast, mealtime & desserts. A lot of the recipes are good to begin with but get an added kick of vitamins or whole grains. Besides the purees she also adds flax seed meal to a lot of the recipes. The most entertaining chapter is the desserts, of course, where she adds spinach to brownies & broccoli & carrot to a Gingerbread Spice Cake. The one I am most excited to try is hot cocoa with a sweet potato puree! She also has a recipe for baked doughnuts that are surprisingly low in sugar & fat & offer the use of whole-wheat pastry flour.
The only drawback for me is the use of margarine spread instead of butter & the silly quotes from Jerry & the kids at the bottom.
All in all I think it is an excellent book. While I do feel it would have done me much more good when Flynn was about 18 months, I am definitely excited to add a few of the recipes into the mix & think it is a great tool for adding more "color" to your diet!

2 comments:

Veeda said...

i've looked at this book at Costco too and have thought about getting it for our fam too. I'm glad you recommend it.

Anonymous said...

I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing