Sunday, February 10, 2008

oatmeal pancakes.


I have been having so much fun adding new ingredients to my kitchen. The latest I have been experimenting with is oat flour. I make it by putting my whole oats into the food processor. Simple as that. Such a great way to rotate the bags of oats I have been storing for years.

The first thing I tried oat flour in was Jessica Seinfeld's brownies. I have to say I wasn't quite pleased with the results. I feel as though I might be able to tweak the recipe & come up with a good brownie, but still it's not something I plan to include as a regular part of our diet.

I then did some research online as I was planning for this Sunday's pancake breakfast(new family tradition), & came across several recipes. I chose the healthiest out of the bunch & was quite pleased with the results! Flynn & Brett loved them too. We topped them with maple syrup only, no butter. While I don't think they will satisfy the typical person's craving for pancakes, they are a great way to add oatmeal to our breakfast menu. Neither me nor Flynn are crazy about the texture of regular prepared oatmeal, so this is a great alternative. Plus, I'm all about variety these days at the kitchen table!


Oatmeal Pancakes.

1 cup milk
3/4 cup oatmeal
3/4 cup oat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
4 large whites
1 tsp cinnamon

*Heat milk until hot, stir in oats and set aside.
*Beat egg whites into a stiff foam with hand mixer or blender and reserve.
*Mix remaining dry ingredients together and stir in oatmeal/milk mixture.
*Fold in egg whites until mixture is well blended.
*Spray pan with nonstick spray and cook pancakes until browned on both sides.

courtesy of stella juarez

No comments: